POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : the umpteenth time: removed features :( : Re: the umpteenth time: removed features :( Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the umpteenth time: removed features :(
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 Jun 2002 10:47:09
Message: <3d0b536d$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3d0afa81@news.povray.org> , "Karl J. Anders"
<kar### [at] webde> wrote:

>> There was no old behavior.
>
> Sorry, but that's wrong! 3.1g (mac) at least did return <0,0,0> and no error
> message - and this is, though mathematically definitely incorrect, quite
> useful in many cases. And some include files from other people, like
> TORSPLINE or CHEAP_SWEEP suddenly don't work as before :(
>
>> There never was a legal result being returned for a zero length vector and
>> the documentation clearly stated it.
>
> Sorry, but no, it didn't ! It does so with all 3.5 betas, but not with 3.1g.

It was pure luck that some versions of POV-Ray would return a valid result
in some cases.  In order to normalize the length one has to divide by the
length.  Consequently on systems were divisions by zero do not cause a fatal
exception some undefined garbage would have been returned.  That this
garbage would most of the time be zero on those platforms doesn't make it
the correct result...

Anyway, I am going to ignore any further messages posted to this thread in
order to end this discussion.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg